The Nano is designed with ultra-low power consumption electronics drawing less than 35μA during sleep. With an internal 1.95 A-Hr rechargeable Li-Ion battery, it can send a position report every hour for up to two months (about 1,200 reports).
The Nano is equipped with a high resolution color LCD and on-screen keyboards supporting transmission of free-text, canned messages and a combination of free-text and canned messages. The menu options are displayed as icons for quick access. The device can periodically wake up from sleep to send its position report to a command center. A 911 button is used for immediate emergency/alert notifications. Data are packaged in either standard or 256-bit AES encrypted format. Data can also be sent in encrypted PECOS formats to include Brevity codes.
The nano offers a variety of services including:
- Normal Tracking — programmed to automatically wake up and send a position report at a set interval ranging from continuous to once every seven days.
- Emergency Alert — sends alerts to a designated monitoring center using a 911 button. The monitoring center and the user can then communicate to define further specifics of the emergency.
- Free-Text Messaging — sends free-text via three different sets of on-screen keyboards.
- Canned Text Messaging — sends canned (pre-defined) messages in short codes to save bandwidth instead of the entire message body.
- Waypoint Tracking - sends and/or saves waypoints (interested landmarks) for later retrieval.
- Check-In — allows a quick check-in message to be sent using a single soft key